Cultural monuments

City walls
Various layers in the town walls encompassing the town completely, and preserved even today, were built between the Illyrian period and the fall of Venice. The first record of today’s walls dates from the time before Christ. The last important extension to the walls occurred at the end of the 15th century. 

The Frankopan fortress was built in the period between the 12th and 14th centuries, mentioned in the reports by the Venetian providore. The fortress has a number of purposes, such as protecting the town against attacks from the seaside, and the square rook serving as a courthouse. The height of the walls is 9m.

The name of the square is derived from the Latin word campus, meaning field. During Roman times, a training area was located here close to the thermal spas. The remnants of the temple columns at the square gives witness to a large building from Roman times.

Rook on the Shorelinekrk0958.jpg
A six-sided rook with western and southern wall sections dating from the Middle Ages. Prince Nikola Frankopan had it constructed in 1407. This is recorded by the inscription and family emblem engraved into the Roman tombstone from the respective century and a presentation of the couple.

Town Council Hall

On the ground-floor of this rook structure from the 15th century, there city doors existed. The rook was constructed by the islanders without paid wages. Located on its eastern wall is the emblem of duke Augustin Barbaring. Under it is the clock with 24 fields first mentioned in 1538. 

Vela Market Place
This is the only town square preserving the characteristics of a square. It is first mentioned in 1263. The six-sided well on the square dates from the 16th century. Under the square is a valuable archaeological site, revealing otherwise, the oldest part of the town walls dating from the 4th to 3rd century B.C.

The Large Town Doors

Once the town became encompassed by walls, these doors became the main entrance to the town from the seaside, increasing so because they were originally positioned to the south, at the end of the decumano, as well as the square itself. They are mentioned in 1350. 

The Small Doors
Originally, these were located in the walls of the bishop's court as the southern end of the street cardo. Here, due to southern gusts and an extension to the bishop’s court to the west, they were relocated during the 14th century. In front of these doors there was a small mul-gate: an entry to the town for fishermen.


“Splendid Town of Krčan” is the inscription from the Antic tomb stone dating from the 9th century. A replica is found on the main town square Vela placa (square) and this is also the first written record of the existence of the town of Krk.

Roman Mosaic
The remnants of Roman thermal spas are found on the ground floor of the Vasilić house, in Ribarska street. It originates from the 1st century, is well preserved and shows a mythological sea scene. The central character is Triton around whom dolphins and other sea creatures are dancing.


The first discovered town walls. The historical excavation is tied to the forum – the central section of the Roman municipium. The altar from the 1st century was found from the ‘Venerina temple’ collection, the first and only on the eastern Adriatic coast.


Venus is the Roman goddess of love, beauty and marriage, born from the sea’s foam, chosen by Paris. She was the most beautiful goddess of the whole Roman Pantheon. The number of Temples of Venus within the Roman Empire was significantly less when compared with temples built for other Roman gods at the Pantheon, as approval from the emperor’s family itself needed to be granted before building could commence. This is the only temple dedicated to the goddess Venus to be found on the eastern side of the Adriatic and dates back to 1st century BC.
A. Mahnića 3, 51500 Krk
Tel: 051 520-662

Originally, the three apsidal Old Christian basilica (5th century) was raised on the remnants of the Roman baths. In the cathedral, on the northern side, there is a baptistery. Today, the three apsidal Roman cathedral (12th century) was segregated and extended a number of times. The internal section is ‘supported’ by 14 columns, and one from the northern row (closest to the altar) is the only one with very rare Eucharistic symbols, each side has two birds eating a fish.



Cathedral Bell Tower
The cathedral received a Gothic styled bell tower in the 16th century. In 1767, instead of the present acute top, a Baroque domed bell-tower was built with a wooden angel. Today, the angel is made of polyester dating to 1973.


  The Church of St. Quirinuskrk0031.jpg
A precious example of Roman architecture from the 12th century. The three apsidal church was built from local white stone. Here, it is the only older two-storey church. It was once connected to the cathedral as its matroneum – an area where mass was attended by women. It was consecrated to St. Quirinus – the patron saint of the town of Krk. Today, it contains a valuable sacral collection – of course, more valuable is the exhibited altar piece from the 15th century showing motifs of Mary’s crowning.

majka_bozja_oz.jpgThe Church of the Mother of God of Health
A three apsidal Romantic church of the ex-Benedictine monastery from the 11th century. It was originally consecrated to St. Michael. When defending the town against cholera, in the 19th century, its title was changed. The bell tower on the western facade dates to the same period as the church.


The Church of Saint Franciscr_sv_franjo.jpg
A Gothic style from the 12th century. Today's sacristy was the church's primary section. The bell tower was built later, its upper section in the 18th century.

The Church of Saint Josip


The Franciscan Monastery
The Franciscans are first mentioned in Krk in 1277. At first, the monastery was part of the northern town walls. The eastern wing was raised in 1910 as the minor seminary. Here, a picture of the Mother of God with the Child from the Renaissance painter Vittore Carpaccia is kept.


Saint Donatkrk0569.jpg
A first-class monument of Croatian sacral architecture. It relates to chapel from the first-half of the 12th century, a quadrilateral layout. From its central rhombus area covered by a dome, there are three apses. Don't be surprised when standing before the exceptionally valuable Croatian sacral architecture heritage, a unique prototype. It is a world heritage site.


Saint Grysogonus (Sv. Krševan)
A monument with the highest value dating to the 11-12th centuries. Around the circular base with the dome there are three semi-circular apses with half-domes. it is located above Čavlena Cove.



The family tree of the great Frankopan family draws its origins from the Krk princes, and is mentioned in documents dating from the 12th century. The name of Frankopan is has been recorded by history since 1430.

The town of Krk very meticulously preserves the tradition of the patrician families who along with the Zrinski family, are proudly called the magnates of Croatian culture and history. They were great figures in political and economic terms, continually striving for Croatia’s self-determination. In this attempt they perished, and their family was wiped out. On the 30th April 1671, at 9:00am in the morning, they were punished and sentenced to death in front of the town armoury in Wiener Neustadt near Vienna,.
In a special burial ceremony, on the 30th April 1919, their posthumous remains were transferred to the grave behind the main altar of the Zagreb cathedral. There they lie still today, available for pilgrimages and honouring by the Croatian people. Krk was one of the strategic Frankopan towns which today has inherited a very well preserved Frankopan castle on Trg kamplin – an ideal natural scene and coulisse of summer cultural performances and the prince’s court - the Krk residency of these families.
Worth visiting is the family chapel in the cathedral – a nice example of Gothic style. Besides these material heritages, Krk endeavours to preserve the memorial of the Frankopans by reviving the spirit of their times through various events that the town leads back to the Middle Ages, back to the Renaissance period where costumed prince and princess, the populace, pages and shooters… parade silently Romantic.

TZ Krk

City of Krk Tourist Board
Vela placa 1/1 - 51500 - Krk - Croatia
+385 51 221 414

© 2021.