This guide introduces you the amazing history of the ancient town of Krk. First of all, there is a short historical chronology of the town from its beginning up to nowadays. There is also a detailed review of period of the knights Frankopan rule, as well as the story of tourism development which, through the past hundred years, becomes the leading economic branch in town.

26. PJANKA

360° pano

A small square at the crossing of two major streets: Decumanus Maximus and Galija. This miniature square is the location of two important buildings: the home of the Frankopan princes and the house of the noble family Cetinić.

 

27. MAURA KAL

360° pano

Words preserved from the Veljot dialect, meaning big street. Veljot was a dialect of the Roman Dalmatian language. It became extinct at the end of the 19th century with the death of its last speaker, Anton Udina Barbur.

 

28. DUKE'S RESIDENCE

360° pano

Also known as the Frankopan home, although there is no written evidence of this. The size of the building and the immediate vicinity of noblemen's houses lead to the conclusion that this was the Frankopans' residence.

 

29. THE BIG HOUSE

360° pano

This two-storey building with an arched passage over the street was first mentioned in 1538. The statue of the Madonna with child in the niche is called Madonetta. The location therefore became known as Madonetta.

 

30. BOMBE

360° pano

The first connecting point of Decumanus and the northern town gate mentioned under this name in a document from 1502. It is also called St. Joseph's street after the chapel of the same name located there.

 

31. THE PIZAN GATE

The eastern town gate was mentioned in the 13th century Krk's Statute in connection with punishment for treason. The traitor was publicly disgraced, tied to a donkey's tail and dragged along Decumanus Maximus to the main town gate.
 

32. KAMPLIN

360° pano

The name of this square is derived from the Latin word campus (field). In Roman times this was an exercise ground. Remains of temple columns witness to the magnificent structures of Roman times. During the middle ages this was the sight of knight duels.

 

33. THE FRANKOPAN CASTLE

360° pano

The Frankopan fortificaton was built from the 12th to the 14th century as stated in reports by Venetian proveditors. It served as the town's defence from naval attacks, while its square tower functioned as a court house.

 

34. BISHOP'S RESIDENCE

The Krk diocese was first mentioned in the 7th century. It is assumed that the eastern section of the building was constructed at the same time as the Cathedral. Andrija was the first bishop known by his name.
 

35. ROMAN BATHS

The baths belonged to the Roman municipality Curictarum and were built during the 2nd and 4th century. They were located at the western end of Decumanus Maximus Parts of a pool with black and white floor mosaic depicting Triton have been preserved.
 

36. THE CATHEDRAL

360° pano

The Cathedral Complex, built over centuries, is the most valuabe heritage of the town of Krk and its surroundings. It comprises remains of Roman baths, St. Mary's Cathedral, St. Quirinus Church, an early christian baptistry, and apse and the bell tower. The 12th century Cathedral is flanked by the palatial chapel of St. Quirinus, a three naved romanesque structure which has served different purposes through the ages: from a portico and Bishoph's Chapel to the Cathedral matroneum. The bell tower with a baroque cupola was built in the 17th century.  ST. MARGARET'S CHURCH This two-nave church is a rare example of genuine Romanesque space. Unlike the usual orientation east-west axis of the church extends north-south direction. It is characterized by an almost perfect acoustics.

 

37. THE CURICTA PRINTING HOUSE

Established by bishop Antun Mahnić in 1899. Old Slavic publications in  Latin and Glagolitic as well as Croatian periodicals were printed here. The printing press was in operation till 1919. When it was destroyed by D'Annunzio's Arditi. THE OLD SLAVIC ACADEMY Established by bishop Antun Mahnić in1902, old slavic publications in Latin and Glagolitic as well as Croatian periodicals were printed here. The printing press was in operation till 1919 when it was destroyed by d'Annunzio's Arditi.
 

38. ROMAN BATHS

The baths from the 1st century are a legacy of the Roman municipality Curicum. They are located at the southern end of the Cardo street. One pool and parts of other rooms have been preserved. An exercise ground (today's Kamplin) was part of the complex.
 

39. SMALL TOWN GATE

360° panoThe gate was priviously located at the southern end of the Cardo in the town wall behind the Bishop's Residence. It was moved to its present location in the 14th century. There used to be a small pier in front of the gate, which served as the fishermen's entrance.
 

40. PIER BY THE BISHOP'S RESIDENCE

360° pano

And surrounding waerfront section were built in 1913. The pier is perpendicular to the breakwater giving additional protection from the winds. The pier and braakwater form the town harbour.

 

41. PIER NEAR THE PARK

360° pano

The Krk Statute from 1388. notes that all cargo must be unloaded on the town pier and brought into town through the main gate. The pier was repaired in the 15th century. The costs were covered by all islanders.

 

42. SEAFRONT TOWER

360° pano

Is located on the intersection of the southern and western walls. The inscription and the coat of arms indicate that the tower was built by the order of Nikola Frankopan in1407. The inscription was carved into a Roman tombstone from the 1st century.

 

43. KRK'S PASARA

Pasara is a smaller boat with a transom which distinguishes it from other vessels „at both ends“. This characteristic insures a wider space at the stern why pasara became the favourite fishing boat and spread quickly all over the Adriatic. Its light and nimble body was taken for designing racing yacht L-5.
 

44. KRUŠIJA

360° panoThe name is derived from the Italian word corso, meaning „to flow“, as Krušija is located at the mouth of an underground stream. Up to the 20th century, women would come here to rinse bucketfuls of laundry.
 
TZ Krk

City of Krk Tourist Board
Vela placa 1/1 - 51500 - Krk - Croatia
+385 51 221 414

© 2021. znaor.com